Discover all you need to know about Dalkeith Heights
Dalkeith Heights is a beautiful, independent living village situated in a safe and secure setting in tranquil Traralgon.
Q. What is Dalkeith Heights?
Dalkeith Heights is a beautifully designed, ultra modern independent living community set in landscaped parklands. Each of our modern and spacious homes has a six star energy rating to ensure minimum possible future heating and cooling. Our homes have either one or two bedrooms, depending on your needs, and some have a study.
The focus of the landscape architecture is on the link ways and paths, providing a number of walking routes through and around the village. This landscape incorporates water sensitive design and the recycling of storm water. Our modern expansive community centre has a solar powered pool, cinema, gymnasium, hair salon and pharmacy delivery – just to name a few features!
Q. When was Dalkeith Heights established?
The first stage of construction of Dalkeith Heights was completed in March 2009, the same month which saw our first residents move into their homes.
Dalkeith Heights and Dalkeith Hostel (a residential aged care facility set within the village) are part of Benetas – a not for profit organisation offering housing, community and aged care services across Victoria. Benetas has been operating since 1948.
Q. Why should I consider moving into a retirement village?
- The security of an emergency call system, monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week in every unit
- The option to be free of the responsibilities of a larger home, with the freedom to travel knowing that your home is cared for while you are away
- The companionship and friendship of the Dalkeith Heights lifestyle that will allow you to pursue, at your own leisure the variety of activities that will be available
- The knowledge that additional care can be arranged in the future via the village as Dalkeith Heights staff can assist you to access home-based care services and support when needed
- The knowledge, comfort and freedom for you and your family that you will be part of a caring, fun and active community
- Organised or individual use of well maintained community facilities such as a café, restaurant, lounge, cinema, heated pool, gymnasium, library and reading room
- The safety of a smooth transition to our aged care facility, Dalkeith Hostel, co-located on the same grounds if needed
Q. Who should I talk to about this decision?
We encourage you to speak to your family and friends about the possibility of moving into Dalkeith Heights, to assist you to make a decision. Our staff at Dalkeith Heights are also available and knowledgeable to answer any questions you may have. We also highly recommend you seek financial and/or legal advice about this decision.
Q. What age do I have to be?
Yourself, your spouse or partner must be at least 55 years or retired from full time work to live at Dalkeith Heights.
Q. Are pets allowed?
Yes, we have a number of happy pets living at Dalkeith Heights. Pets are allowed subject to approval from our Village Manager and provided they meet a few reasonable conditions covering their ongoing care and management. Our Village Manager can talk to you about these conditions.
Q. Are Dalkeith Heights homes leasehold or strata title?
All Dalkeith Heights homes are leasehold.
Q. Do I have to pay stamp duty on my home?
No, stamp duty is not applicable on Dalkeith Heights homes.
Q. Is there staff available to assist with maintenance?
External maintenance of your front garden is provided for you as part of your monthly service charge. Our staff can arrange for other professional services you may require, at your cost, for internal maintenance or odd jobs, together with assistance with your rear garden.
Q. What facilities are available to me should I need residential aged care?
Dalkeith Hostel is located on the same site as Benetas Dalkeith Heights, a residential aged care facility with 54 places and 24 hours, 7 days a week nursing care. To learn more about Dalkeith Hostel speak to our village staff or contact the Benetas Customer Centre on 1300 23 63 82. Entry to Dalkeith Hostel is subject to availability.
Q. Am I able to have my family and friends come and stay with me?
Yes, of course – your unit is your home! Your family and friends are welcome to come and stay whenever they wish. We just ask that you are with them when they stay and if they wish to stay for longer than five days we ask you to please seek prior written consent from Management.
Q. When I move in, are there are any ongoing fees?
There is a monthly maintenance charge of $359.40 (or $82.94 per week) that is payable monthly in advance, commencing as per your contract. Please note:
This fee allows us to provide the following services:
- Monitoring and maintenance of the 24 hour emergency call system
- Day to day management of the village
- Building/public liability insurance
- Maintenance and repairs to the exterior of your homes
- Gardening, mowing and landscaping of common areas
- Use and maintenance of all community facilities
- Cleaning and lighting of common areas including the Community Centre
- Administration, audit and reception services
- OH&S and fire safety compliance
- Cleaning of roof gutters of homes
- Preventative maintenance to common areas
Q. Are there any legal costs when I move in?
Yes, there is a once off $500 administration fee incurred at settlement.
Q. If I choose to leave, how do I go about advertising my unit for re-lease?
Dalkeith Heights can market your unit to achieve the maximum resale value, or you can choose an external agent of your choice. We are here to help as much as possible.
Q. Are there any housekeeping services?
Yes, Dalkeith Heights staff can arrange private housekeeping services. Residents need to pay for these services.
Q. Are nursing staff available to assist me in case of illness or injury?
While personal care is not a part of the services offered directly by Dalkeith Heights, we can assist you to find suitable service providers when needed. Benetas, operator of Dalkeith Heights, offers home based services including personal care and may be a service provider you can use. Our village staff are available to talk to you about the options.
Q. Am I allowed to use the village facilities to entertain my guests?
Definitely! You can entertain your guests in the Community Centre (including private family events in the café, bar or lounge area) or the gardens. The whole village is your home. We just ask that your guests remain in your company if they are using any of the Dalkeith Heights facilities or engaging in any of our activities.
Q. What do I pay for once I move in?
You will pay for your own:
- Electricity and gas
- Water and council rates
- Upkeep of interior of home and rear garden
- Contents insurance
- Any additional professional or health services you require (e.g. housekeeping, personal care)
Q. What is a Deferred Management Fee (DMF) and when do I pay this?
On the re-leasing of your unit, a deferred management fee (DMF) is payable. As this is the case with most properties in Retirement Villages, deferment of fees is a method used to reduce the purchase price, and its payment is deferred until the end of occupancy to allow residents to use their money throughout their life at the village.
The fee is calculated as a percentage of the value of your unit at resale and is payable at settlement.
The fee is calculated at 3% per annum on a pro-rata basis for up to 10 years. A component of this fee (0.5%) is a contribution to the Major Maintenance Fund (MMF) which is set aside as a building maintenance fund.
You purchased a unit for $300,000 at Dalkeith Heights and lived in it for three years. The re-lease price after three years is $337,000, based on a 4% capital growth*.
|DMF and MMF||9% (3% x 3 years)|
|Actual DMF and MMF payable||$30,330 (9% of $337,000 = $30,330)|
|Balance||$306,670** ($337,000 – $30,330 = $306,670)|
* This is an example calculation ONLY and should only be used as a guide
** This is excluding any other costs which may be applicable.
Talk to Deanna today on 03 5175 0955
Talk to Deanna today on 03 5175 0955